Wednesday, 22 April 2009

A Prayer for the Dying

So I am off this afternoon, on a wonderful sunny and warm Aprils spring day to visit a dying relative, driving across the snake pass through the wonderful sun light peak to a Hospice in Macclesfield.

What do you say to a guy who 5 days after he retired visited his GP to report a stomach ache and later found out he has cancer. I don't know what to say or even what to wear? Should I stick to the summer shorts and t shirt, or is this a more formal occasion needing smart casual? Should I cry or try not to cry?

I hate doing this, yes I have a duty to visit and will, but the picture of a dying, gaunt, frail man who was once a living, muscular being will probably be the picture that sticks in my head more than the other images I have off him.

This space between life and death is..........I just cant think what it is, sorry, I wish I really knew.

1 comment:

elberry said...

i'm sorry to hear that.