Friday, 27 February 2009

Circus, Circus

The RSPCA are up in arms about animals being used in the circus for the first time in 10 years.

This is just crass nonsense and completely counterproductive. I come from a working class family on a council estate and going to the circus for my birthday was one of the highlights of my childhood.

Ive grown up loving animals and respecting them, traveling around the world to see them. I am not sure my feelings would be the same if I had not come into contact with foreign animals as a child. We did not have a car, so I would not be going to the zoo or safari park and even if I did its not the same as being in close quarters with a large animal like a Elephant.

Of course animal welfare is our main aim, but plenty of animals also have a working life, there is no reason why a balance cannot be struck, and circus animals can be the ambassadors of their species for another generation.

Animals civilize us, we should not forget that.

No comments: